I’m finding odd piles of sawdust around my Barrington property. Why is that?
If it is a pest problem then you probably have either termites or carpenter ants. Termites and carpenter ants both produce frass, which can often be confused with sawdust, but there is a difference. The trick is to look closely at the “sawdust”. Termites actually produce tiny pellets which are usually beige or brown (but the color is in relation to the wood they eat). This will look like piles of sand but from far could look like sawdust as the pellets are roughly the size of ground pepper. Carpenter ants produce frass which looks like sawdust. Carpenter ants do not eat wood like termites; instead they chew it and remove it from their den to create their homes.
Do you use rat poison?
Yes but inside locked bait stations so that children and pets cannot contact poison.
We also can eliminate mice without poison by using multicatch traps, glue board, and other methods. Call us for an inspection and recommendation
What are some natural ways I can keep pests away?
There are many different ways to reduce a bug issue.
- Caulking inside and outside will reduce or eliminate pests
- Painting or staining wood. This helps eliminate Carpenter Bees.
- Keep bushes trimmed away from home 12-18 inches
- Do not use too much mulch – Mulch should never be in contact with wood.
- Ladybugs - if you have a garden and are worried about aphids (pests that eat your plants) then get some ladybugs. These little beauties can eat about 50 to 60 aphids a day!
- Plants that repel mosquitoes - Lemon balm, marigolds, catnip, basil, lavender and citronella grass are all plants that mosquitoes do not like to be around.
- Remove standing water - mosquitoes need standing water to lay their eggs. Go around your property to make sure that you don’t have old containers that have filled with rain water. If you own a bird bath make sure to change the water every second day or so.
If you have any questions about Pursuit Pest Control or the services we provide the people of Barrington then give us a call.